I had a serious taco craving, Internet. And being gluten-free didn't slow me down. Tacos in Butter Bib lettuce is just as delicious as the corn stuff. Plus you can eat a lot more! And who doesn't love a lot more tacos? Mr. Wild Dingo gave this two thumbs up. He loves his Mexican food. This is very filling and satisfying even without the grain or corn tortilla.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or lard/bacon grease
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 head of Butter Lettuce, Romain lettuce or even a head of cabbage. Any leaf that will be deep and fold nicely.
- Optional Toppings:Monterey Jack cheese, Cheddar cheese or sour cream
- Refried pinto beans, mashed, optional*
- Pico de Gallo or spicy salsa, optional*
- Guacamole, optional *
*You can make your own or buy freshly made from your local grocery store. I usually make my own guacamole and beans and purchase pico de gallo.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin to skillet; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- If using refried beans: 1-2 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed. Warm them in a small pan, mash them with a potato masher or wooden spoon while they are heating up. You can add flavoring such as bacon drippings (I use my own saved bacon lard), chili powder or a dash of cumin and salt. Mash until your desired consistency.
- Shred the cheese, put in a bowl to serve.
- Mash your avocado into guacamole, add salt and/or lime juice if you'd like.
- Make your own pico de gallo or place out with a serving spoon.
- Use the deepest and smallest lettuce leaves of the bunch, scoop the refried beans in first, spreading them out to coat the lettuce leaf. Then the ground beef, and top it with guacomole, pico de galo, cheese or sour cream.